Monday, April 25, 2011

When I am KING


For the online comic week I read the When I Am King by Demian Vogler. It is a extremely graphically designed comic, full of iconic shapes and image story telling. The story is light hearted and kind of like the funny on the news paper. All the characters and environment are made of simple shapes. No words or dialog, only images to express what the characters are thinking or talking. It has a unique way use of icons and they simply become part of the world itself.
What I think it’s really interesting is the use of scrolling bar, and the comic is designed to be read like an animation. All frame starts from the right and going to the right, and unlike paper comic there is not going down. It almost made me feel like reading a animatic script. The motion is cool, and I almost wish he could have done the entire comic in one long never ending scroll.
The story itself is as I said light hearted and there isn’t a real goal to the plot, I think he just draws whatever comes to mind. However the image that’s used in the dialog box is smartly designed and communicated well with humor.
I believe that traditional form of comic will never be truly over, just like we are still making black and white film today and see it as an art style. Perhaps more and more artists are going to move their work digital, but there will always be people that appreciate the traditional form of comic and art. Maybe one day in the near future that paper comic will be seem as a form of high art, and will be display in the museum with oil paintings and sculptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment